Foam Rolling – Top 10 Do’s & Don’ts
We recently ran a foam rolling workshop to discuss potential benefits and to display the instantaneous changes we can gain in range of motion from shorts bouts of foam rolling!
It was a very popular workshop so we wanted to write a very quick blog detailing some quick yet important take-home messages.
- The potential mechanisms for the benefit of foam rolling are quite broad. However, it doesn’t matter! It works to help reduce soreness and increase range
- Foam roll after activity & the following day to help prevent exercise induced muscle soreness
- For smaller, harder to reach areas such as the pecs or gluts, use a lacrosse or tennis ball
- Use on typically ‘tight areas’ but also body regions that are put under extra stress from your activity/lifestyle habits
- Make sure that you’re the area that is being worked on is ‘relaxed’ a common example is the calf – make sure your toes are not pointing upwards when rolling this area
- You do not need to roll into extreme pain! Rolling up to a 4/10 and an 8/10 on a pain scale have been shown to increase range to the same degree
- Use it as a time to relax – slow deep breaths and relaxing will help your nervous system ‘calm down’
- Short bouts and then reinforce: This is a newer concept, but short bouts of rolling followed by an active activity can help reinforce the range you have just gained.
- Foam rolling does not reduce short term power output like static stretching can
- Follow our vimeo account here for an array of rolling techniques: https://vimeo.com/channels/1151057
Keep an eye out for our next Foam Rolling workshop by going to our Events page
Or if you would like to book a one to one Foam Rolling technique session then call us on 01628639532 to book in!Categories: All Articles / Injuries
December 3rd, 2018 Clinical Pilates 1 – 1 Special Christmas offer!! September 28th, 2018 Calling all Windsor Half Runners! Special Offer Inside! September 21st, 2018 Christie’s 20 Questions! September 14th, 2018 Book in for your free place at our Foam Rolling Workshop! July 11th, 2018 Clinic Ambassadors Ben and Rhian Storm Breca Gower!!